Friday, January 3, 2014

Simple Perfect Enchiladas - The Pioneer Woman

I watched a lot of Food Network while on vacation. Okay, I watch a lot of Food Network when not on vacation, but this past week took the cake! And, because of the Food Network, I found myself craving Mexican. I haven't craved Mexican since I was pregnant with McKinley. I watched the Pioneer Woman's "Mike's Day Out", "Building Pens", and "BFF". Every one of those episodes contained some version of Mexican. Even Sandra Lee made Mexican during "Spring Fiesta". I had to have it!

We had planned to go out to dinner one night, Jose Pepper's being the restaurant I chose, but neither of us were all that hungry when it came to dinner, so we had iHOP instead. If you can't have Mexican, breakfast is the next best thing, right? Last night was the night! I decided on Ree's Simple Perfect Enchilada's and boy were they good! A lot of work, but really good. Here are the deets!

You make an amazing sauce! You will use this sauce several times.



Okay, I have to ask. How in the world are the on-air chefs able to keep tears at bay when cutting onions? Seriously, I was crying buckets last night. Ree, what are your secrets?


You brown some hamburger, along with the tearful onions, and add diced chili's. I went a little light on the chili's as my hubs isn't one for a lot of spice!

 
Now, here is the tricky part. Heat some oil in the skillet, but make sure you don't have the flame up too high! I made that mistake and oil splattered everywhere! You need to heat the tortilla, not cause first degree burns on your hands when adding them to the oil!


 Grate a heaping mound of cheese.


 There are couple of things I didn't capture on camera. Like when I dunked the tortilla in the amazing enchilada sauce. Or, when I added all the ingredients into the tortilla shell, rolled them, and placed them in the baking dish. My hands were covered, dripping, and there would have been no way to capture any of this!


Bake and eat! I made some Mexican rice as our side. These enchiladas were an incredible end to a craving that plagued me for days! Get the entire recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment