Thursday, January 23, 2014

Mom's Southern Cooking - Butter Noodles


My mom was forever making chicken. Chicken, chicken, and more chicken. And I often replied, when I asked what was for dinner, "Chicken again?" But, it's super versatile and inexpensive! And even though we ate a lot of chicken, my mom was great at varying up the sides. One of my favorites was butter noodles. Another really easy recipe for a quick, yummy side.

I made a new recipe from the Sandra Lee magazine, an apple and fennel pork butt in the slow cooker, and wanted to keep the sides relatively uncomplicated. I thought the pork, apple, and fennel were fancy enough. I decided on steamed green beans and butter noodles. (Don't get excited. The steamed green beans came in a frozen steam-in-the-bag from Green Giant!) The noddles, I made on my own.

Here's what you need: Egg Noodles, Butter, Seasoned Salt, Black Pepper, and Parsley Flakes (not shown. I couldn't find them in my mess of a spice cabinet).


Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add a nice amount of salt to your water. (This is the only chance your pasta/noodles will get a healthy dose of flavor). Cook to past al dente. You want a soft noodle for this recipe!

Once done, drain your noodles and add to your serving bowl.


Simply add a small amount of butter, seasoned salt, and black pepper to taste. Add a small amount of parsley flakes for color! Voila! Your side is ready!


Now, here's the God's honest truth. I didn't take a picture of the final meal because after I took the pork out of the crock-pot, it looked so gross to me! So gross, that I didn't even eat it! I dined on green beans and noodles. My hubby dug in, cleaning his plate, but he did report that it wasn't his favorite meal. If I were going to serve a roast, next time just make it like I always do. He loved the sides though!

Let me know what you think of the butter noodles. One of my favs!

Happy Eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment