Thursday, February 6, 2014

Mom's Southern Cooking - Cooked Apples

One of my all time favorites sides is cooked apples! I love apple anything, but this sweet and tart recipe is simply wonderful! It combines all my favorite things; apples, butter, brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon! Doesn't that sound unbelievable? 

I remember the first time I made these for my husband. He devoured them! They have become one of his most requested sides, but always feels bad for asking because he thinks they're time consuming. They really aren't. It just takes a little time to cook them down. 

Here's what you need: apples (I use Granny Smith so that I can sweeten them to my liking), butter, brown and granulated sugar, and cinnamon.


Wash and dry your apples. Then core and slice. If you don't have a handy apple corer like this, cut them the way you normally would.


Place all your apple slices in a large sauce pot and add several tablespoons of water. Apples are already water based so you only need a little to help the cook. Cover with a lid, but allow a little steam to escape. Cook on medium.


I mentioned earlier that you needed to cook the apples down. What I really meant was that you needed to cook the apples to death! Make them mushy as seen below! Stir to make sure there aren't huge chunks of uncooked apple. Then, add about a tablespoon of butter. Stir to combine.


 This is where the good stuff comes in! Not that butter isn't a good thing. Add several teaspoons of granulated sugar, several handfuls of brown sugar, and several dashes of cinnamon. Stir to combine. Taste to see if it's sweet enough. If not, add a little more of each sugar.


And that's it! You have cooked apples! Here is the finished dinner. We had a crockpot pot roast with new potatoes and carrots. So yummy and a perfect meal for the freezing temps and foot of snow we have on the ground!


Let me know if you make this dish! I love hearing your reviews.

Next up, my Grannie's Apple Dumplings. Talk about amazing!

Happy Eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment