Tuesday, February 11, 2014

From Andrea's Kitchen - Homemade Cinnamon Rolls


On Sunday I was going to make our standard weekend breakfast, cinnamon rolls. As you already know, I made Easy French Toast on Saturday, so Sunday was going to be cinnamon roll day. However, we were out of canned cinnamon rolls! HORRORS! Then I saw a can of pizza dough in the fridge door and thought, could I make my own cinnamon rolls from pizza dough? Turns out you can!

Here's what you need: a can of pizza dough, butter, sugar, and cinnamon!


I started out with the piece of pizza dough, but it was pretty thin, so I decided to knead it a little and then roll it out to a new length and thickness. Make sure you flour your board, dough, and rolling pin!


Melt two tablespoons of butter and pour it over the dough. Rub in all the butter, going all the way to the edges, to make sure all of the dough is covered in melted butter.


To the melted butter, add about 1/4 cup of sugar. Again make sure every inch of the dough is covered. It looks like a lot, but trust me, you need it!


Then I took the cinnamon can and shook a healthy amount of cinnamon all over the sugar and butter mixture. Looks delightful, huh? And it smells amazing!


After you have all three ingredients all over the dough, start rolling, I started at the back and just rolled the dough over each other until it was one big roll of dough. Make sure it's a tight roll. And pinch the ends to try and seal everything in.


This is what it should theoretically look like!


Start cutting the rolls into about one inch pieces. 


Then place the pieces into a grease cake pan. Place a towel over the pan and let them rise for about an hour. Once they have risen, preheat the oven to 350 and bake for 13-15 minutes.


 While the rolls were rising, I started thinking, "Uh, I need something to ice the cinnamon rolls." I started to panic a little and then I started thinking. Making a cinnamon roll icing isn't far from making a cupcake icing. So, here is what I came up with for a Cream Cheese Icing: soften cream cheese (I had some left over from cupcake frosting I made the night before), powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and butter.


 Add the soften cream cheese (I used four ounces) about a 1/2 cup of powered sugar, and two tablespoons of melted butter to a bowl. Mix on low to medium speed. Add a splash of vanilla and a big splash of milk once everything has been well combined. Mix again.


 I took a little taste test and it was a little heavy on the cream cheese so I added about another 1/4 cup or so of powered sugar and another splash of milk.


I had another test tester in the house and he approved!


Here is the end result! I will admit I over cooked them a little. They just weren't getting golden brown so I thought they needed more time. Turns out they were done about 3 minutes before I took the out of the oven. The bottoms were a little more done that I would have wanted, but the whole family (McKinley ate breakfast this time) loved them. Devoured them. Next time, I'm definitely going to stick to the baking time!


And there you have it! Homemade cinnamon rolls from a simple can of pizza dough! 

Happy Eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment