Monday, February 10, 2014

From Andrea's Kitchen - Easy French Toast


Saturday morning's are pretty typical for us. McKinley wakes up early so we wake up early. The three of us play for a couple of hours, or sometimes they play while I try to catch up on my DVR. (I'm not going to lie, sometimes I would rather just lay on the couch for about an hour before I start cooking breakfast and playing for the rest of the morning.)

This past Saturday morning wasn't all that different. However, when it came time for breakfast, I just wasn't satisfied with our normal meal.  I generally reserve Saturday's as cinnamon  roll day. I crack open a can and place them in the oven. I love how easy that breakfast is! But I wanted something different, so I decided to rummage through the cabinets, and the fridge, and decided to play around with a French toast recipe. One where I just grabbed ingredients, didn't follow a recipe, and it would give me a chance to use my new, favorite utensil. My griddle!

So what do you need for French toast? Most of you know, or already make your own, but here's what I think you need: eggs, bread, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg.


In a pie dish, I added four eggs and a rather large splash of heavy cream. And when I say a small splash, I'm saying just pour until you feel comfortable.


To the eggs and cream, I added several teaspoons of sugar, a small splash of vanilla extract, a few dashes of nutmeg, and quiet a few shakes of cinnamon. 


I put the heat on about medium/high and added a couple of tablespoons of unsalted butter.


Then I dunked the bread into that incredibly gorgeous mixture, both sides of course, and placed them in the center of the griddle.


So golden brown and delicious, no? I didn't do too much. I just placed them on the griddle, let them sit for about two minutes before I flipped, and just simply let them be. Don't mash or press. Just let them sizzle.


I piled all of them on one plate, buttering as I removed them, and then served them all at once.

For the finishing touches, I gave each one a shake of powdered sugar and a swipe with sugar-free syrup!


I was so proud of myself for just going for it and adding my own ingredients. I felt like I was throwing caution to the wind because I didn't use true measurements from someone else's recipe. And the guys loved them. Okay, Joel loved them. McKinley decided he wasn't eating that morning, and he didn't! Maybe next time!

Happy Eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment